The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

The ommitted predicate

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The ommitted predicate Empty The ommitted predicate Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Minu

Asalamu alaikum

When the ommitted predicate موجودٌ is within a sentence, should the grammar breakdown of موجودٌ also reflect case, gender, number etc e.g 'the girls were in the house' should 'present' be written موجودَةٌ? and in 'the two boys were in the house' موجودانِ.? If so does the same apply to the word محذوفٌ

shukran

2The ommitted predicate Empty Re: The ommitted predicate Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

وعليكم السلام

Yes, I believe from what we have been taught, that your thinking is correct. The omitted predicate must be matched according to gender and number. However, in the case of definition, we know that the the جبر (at this stage) is indefinite while the مبتدأ is definite, thus the two do not relate like in the same way as a noun-adjective construction; whereby the adjective imitates the noun in every single manner. In terms of case we know that the nominal sentence i.e. مبتدأ وجبر is in the nominative case (مرفوعٌ) so both words are declined بالضمّةِ

In regards to your second question, the word محذوفٌ is the adjective of the word خبرٌ thus in this case it is already matched in gender (masculine), number (sing.), case (nominative) and definition (indefinite). It does not need to be altered.

I hope that I have been clear and that I am correct in my understanding, please forgive my errors إن شاء الله

مع السلامة

3The ommitted predicate Empty Re: The ommitted predicate Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:20 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

The answer has been generally covered above but please note that for your first question, "the girls were in the house", the predicate is not موجودَةٌ as you mentioned. Due to the fact that, "girls" is plural you must use the plural of موجودَةٌ which is موجوداتٌ.

Please feel free to ask follow-up questions. That was the reason of the creation of this forum.

ابــــن منظــــور

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

4The ommitted predicate Empty Re: The ommitted predicate Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:20 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Just to clarify, would the خبر also follow in gender/number, for example in the case of feminine plural would it be said خبرات موجودات ومحذوفات and if it does not, why is this the case?

I know in class we never made the خبر follow in number/gender but I thought I'd ask anyway.

5The ommitted predicate Empty Re: The ommitted predicate Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:39 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

There is no need to make such a change. This is for the exact same reason why we did not change مبتدأ in any way.

Let me elaborate on this further. The translation of, "the two boys are in the house" is, الولدانِ في البيتِ

The predicate in this case is omitted.

In Arabic the grammatical breakdown would be;

موجودانِ خبر مرفوع بالألف

However, if I had said, موجودانِ خبران مرفوعان بالألف then it would mean to say there are two predicates. That is the reason we say خبر and not خبران.

I hope that is now clear.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum