The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Problemo Un-o

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Problemo Un-o on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

Nurjahan

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم ورحمة لله

My dilemma: I love Arabic Grammar but I'm less enthusiastic towards the Vocab side of things. I noticed I neglect that aspect.

So for example, I can sit for hours literally just reading up on Arabic grammar I find it fascinating. I don't know, I remember once thinking I like Arabic Grammar because its so similar to maths therefore for me very enjoyable. But vocabs, hmmm....I know a little bit everyday goes a lonnng wayyy, yes, I realise, but still. Its a bit on the boring side. I think the quickest Arabic vocab/phrase I memorised was لا ادري ...kinda figures huh?

I remember in one class Ustadh was talking about the importance of knowing Arabic Grammar and learning Vocabulary, so he said the Grammar is like the blueprint of a building, which is essential as we can't set the foundations and raise the building without it, and then he said learning the Vocabulary is like the bricks, without them theirs no building to raise! So both are equally as important. It stuck.

So I'm trying to think of ways to expand my vocab to keep up with the grammar aspect.

Any advice? Want to share your thoughts?

View user profile

2 Vocab on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Assalamualaikum Sister

I also had a difficult time with my vocab as i had to go work everyday and did not have much time. But then my sister advised me that it is soooo easy... i had a 20 minute bus journey to my work place. The advice she gave me was learn 3/ 4 vocabs on your way there and back and it made sense!

Maybe if you are traveling everyday to get to work, college or university you can learn the 3/4 vocabs a day within your journey time. It builds up at the end of the week!. But obviously if you are driving you cannot!!!

inshAllah this idea will help you or anyone else on this forum facing problems!

Wasalaam

View user profile

3 Re: Problemo Un-o on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Nurjahan

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Hmmmm your advise sounds suspiciously familiar, in fact, YOU sound suspiciously familiar....

Thanks for the advice. I guess your making the most of the concept of reduce, re-use and recycle Wink

And very well advised, I don't think it would be wise to learn your vocabs whilst simultaneously driving, well spotted. MashaAllah. lol.

Any other advice would be much appreciated so please feel free

View user profile

4 Re: Problemo Un-o on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Ambia

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم

Hmmm a very wise friend of mine gave me the idea of using a whiteboard to learn vocabs Razz I found writing it over and over again helped with spelling it correctly and memorising it..

Another method I used was to memorise five words or so on my 10 minute walk to work and back...I found that rather useful too..

Also having a little sister to test you helps alot Smile

Hope you can benefit from the above inshaallah.

مع السلامة

View user profile

5 Re: Problemo Un-o on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Abdul Basith

طالــب ابــن منظــور
This is what you do: write the vocab you need on a piece of paper, put his piece of paper underneath your pillow every night, eventually you brain absorb the vocab from the piece of paper into your head Very Happy

Alternatively you may wish to follow the advice given by usthadhuna

Look at vocab once
Come back to it in 5mins (will be short term memory)
Then come back to it in 10mins (still in short term memory)
then in half hour after '' ''
then come back to it the next day
then again the next day
then come back to it 4 days after that.
then a week later (will start to get in to long term memory)
then once every week
do this for a month and you will never forget it.

Please note this is not the exact words of ustadh. May Allah Help you.

View user profile

6 Re: Problemo Un-o on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:57 am

الماس

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم

...Aha!...brushed teeth...check...piece of paper under pillow...CHECK!..

Yes, أستاذنا has given us a brilliant and effective method.
Apart from the constant bombardment of review, review, REVIEW, which can eventually get a bit tiresome for those of us who try as they might, cannot retain information by just employing this method alone – please remember that Memory works in mysterious ways...

The idea behind retaining information ultimately is that the vocab must associate with something, be it other words or images, thoughts or actions. Memory works in CONTEXT.

Something I often use (since it got me through dreaded History dates)...is...

The Story game

Da-daa! Yes. I’ll show you...firstly, put all of your vocabulary into groups lists (don't worry if your vocab isn't that extensive, you can stick mental notes into your different lists as you learn more)...e.g. ‘the food group’

Then create a ridiculous (this will make it stick) story in your mind’s eye which goes something like this....

‘I flew downstairs to find لَبَنٌ all over the floor, and then I saw a small piece of ٌلَحْم atop the TV, after which my feet turned into بَطَاطَس ...’
...you get the idea...

If you want to be a tad more sensible about the whole thing then just think of a word that it conjures up in your mind that relates to it e.g.

بيت – أمّ – جميلة – إمرأة -

Eventually, whenever you think of a word, another will follow in context – this is good for when you need to make conversation (or pass your oral exam...)

I hope that helps, إن شاء الله

مع السلامة

View user profile

7 Re: Problemo Un-o on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Nurjahan

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
uh ohhhh....

I now feel compelled to share with you one of my theories regarding the topic of memorisation...but we'll save that for a rainy day!

Hmmm...did you know that memory synapses form in the brain when new information is learned so a bit like a line drawn in sand but it can easily be covered hence 'forgotten' and the more one reviews the knowledge the stronger the synapses become until the synapses are established therefore the information is retained in the long term memory.

So what you'll normally find when memorising is the wider the methods of memorisation i.e. visual, kinesthetic etc the quicker it is to initially memorise, however people should not exaggerate in the methods used to memorise and it should be as natural and uncomplicated as possible.

I didn't know of Ustadh's advice but the trick of just looking at vocabs etc is something I used to do anyway because although your brain does not actively memorise at the time your eyes almost take a snapshot of what you are looking at and make it easier to memorise when you put the effort to do so.

And yes, the paper under the pillow trick should theoretically work via the process of diffusion; high concentration of knowledge diffuses to an area of lower concentration of that knowledge via the electrochemical gradient...unless of course it is intercepted and absorbed by the wool in the pillow, in which case one may need to sleep ON the paper itself Wink

View user profile

8 Quote on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Assalamualaikum

The advice given here is BRILLIANT!
Sister Nurjahan I Quote
- 'new information is learned so a bit like a line drawn in sand but it can easily be covered hence 'forgotten' and the more one reviews the knowledge the stronger the synapses becomes'
... My sister at home also named Nurjahan gave me similar advice!
But in my case she used my brain as the example...and the sand!

According to her theory when i memorise words they faintly stick to my brain - now unless i go over it, the word begins to 'dissolve' like the line in the sand which dissolves if i do not go over it constantly!
I do look upto my dear sister very much and i see you both think alike. I guess the saying 'great minds think alike' works very well with both you and my sister at home!

It looks like you've answered your own question sister and also have received good advice from others! Very Happy Wink

Wassalaam

View user profile

9 Re: Problemo Un-o on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm

الماس

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم

Aha I see...I really like the idea of a brain wide process...I’m guessing it’s something like a pathway which eventually turns into a maze, but each path can easily be wiped out as if it isn’t re-traced? Interesting! Man I never was great at this stuff...

Anyway, ما شاء الله Nuj, looks as though you’ve got the ideas and sussed out the neural supercomputer wedged under the human scalp, good on you! Let’s all pray we fill the tiny cabinet full of individual memory folders soon...آمين...

PS: I agree Nush, she's brilliant! (Stop smiling Nurjahan...) Wink

مع السلامة

View user profile

10 Re: Problemo Un-o on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:13 pm

actually she used the rain analogy. but it's too complicated for me to explain . Unfortunately i have not gone over her analogy therefore it has dissolved in my brain like words dissolve in the sand ! Very Happy

View user profile

11 Re: Problemo Un-o on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Nurjahan

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Nush wrote:Unfortunately i have not gone over her analogy therefore it has dissolved in my brain like words dissolve in the sand ! Very Happy

You have a very interesting way of expressing your self there little one...I have yet to witness the process of words dissolving in sand...

Wink

View user profile

12 Re: Problemo Un-o on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 am

Assalamualaikum sister!

Yes my sister Nurjahan pointed this out last night - probably pointed it out at the exact time you wrote the reply!!
wow Great minds DO think alike!
she also went on about her analogy unfortunately i did not go over it this morning therefore it has not stuck to my head

wassalaam

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum