The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Maa'idah - 9

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Please translate the following from Suratil Maa'idah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

قَالَ اللَّهُ هَـٰذَا يَوْمُ يَنفَعُ الصَّادِقِينَ صِدْقُهُمْ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

View user profile http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
قَالَ - Said
اللَّهُ - Allah
هَـٰذَا يَوْمُ - this day*
يَنفَعُ الصَّادِقِينَ - the truthful benefit/profit
صِدْقُهُمْ - their honesty

Translation: 'Allah said 'This day their honesty benefits the Truthful (m.f,3+)'

* I didn't know how to translate this as يَوْمُ doesn't have an اَلْ to make it definite, is it the هَـٰذَا that makes it specific, thus definite? Which grammatical construct is this...please help...

View user profile

Ambia

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Translation: Allah said this day benefits the truthful (for) their honesty

قَالَ – He Said (Past tense verb, Masculine, Singular)

اللَّهُ – Allah

هَـٰذَا – This (Singular, Masculine)

يَوْمُ – Day

يَنفَعُ – He Benefits/Uses (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Singular)

الصَّادِقِينَ – The Truthful (Object, Masculine, Accusative by ي)

صِدْقُهُمْ – Their Truthfulness/Honesty (صِدْقُ – Truthfulness & هُمْ – Attached Pronoun, Masculine)

View user profile

Ambia

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
الماس wrote:

* I didn't know how to translate this as يَوْمُ doesn't have an ال to make it definite, is it the هَـٰذَا that makes it specific, thus definite? Which grammatical construct is this...please help...

Hmmm I too am unsure of why this is the case, my understanding of it is that هَـٰذَا يَوْمُ is a nominal sentence, hence this maybe the reason why يَوْمُ does not have Al as grammatically the predicate is indefinite.

However in this instance if يَوْمُ is the predicate it does not have a tanween (ie the sign of indefiniteness), the only explanation I could think of was that it could be a possessive construct, since possessed items dont normally take Al or Tanween but then that would translate as 'This Day of Benefit...' or it could be 'This day (is of) benefit...' Hmmm what do you think?? Am confused confused

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum