The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arabic Dialects?!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Arabic Dialects?! on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Nurjahan

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Assalamaualikum wa Rahmatullah,

I've been thinking. How would the regional dialect affect a student who wants to go abroad and study? So for example what would be the difference in Arabic learned if a student studied in Egypt as opposed to a student who studied in Syria or Yemen or even somewhere like Mauritania?

At the University of Manchester they make it mandatory upon the students to study Arabic for one year abroad in Egypt, Alexandria.

Hmmm..why is Egypt so popular for Arabic?

Anyone...?

View user profile

2 Re: Arabic Dialects?! on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:24 am

Bint Mahamoud

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
وعليكم السّلام ورحمة الله وبركته

Our university is the same [although the year abroad is an option], I've been told by previous students and one of my teachers that its because the Egyptian Colloquial is the closest to Fushaa - but I've also been told that Syrian Arabic is closer to Fushaa Arabic...Everyone has different opinions I suppose lol.

View user profile

3 Re: Arabic Dialects?! on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:55 am

الماس

طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم يا أختان

I think Egyptian might be so popular for colloquial Arabic, because Egypt produces the most films each year, and so the huge cinema scene there has caused the young and old alike to pick up the dialect; I hear that it has become the most commonly used and thus the most easily understood dialect. I guess media power on the part of Egypt means they are ineviatbly the forerunners of the Arabic speaking population...

In terms of speaking from one region to another, I think having a strong foundation in Modern Standard Arabic is very helpful, it should help with any discrepencies (My friends resort to MSA when they are unable to explain a certain word which is different in the other's dialect).

مع السلامة

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum