The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Q&A - to be sorted

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Re: Q&A - to be sorted on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:22 am

Nurjahan 20 April 2009 23:48

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

Please can you re-explain liason vowels including some examples as I am slightly unsure about the application of this rule.

Much appreciated
wasalaam
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arabic Lessons 21 April 2009 00:06

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

We add the liason vowel الكسرة when we have the "meeting of sukoons". ie. when there occurs two sukoons together we add الكسرة in replacement of the first sukoon.

The example below further clarifies this.

ذهبتْ الْبنت
ذهبتِ الْبنت

I hope this clarifies the liason vowels for you.

Nurjahan 21 April 2009 13:18
Assalmaulaikum wa Rahmatullah,

Please can you explain how and to what لِ is attached to when it shows belonging also why is لِ used sometimes and other times الى?

I hope that makes sense

Shukran
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arabic Lessons 21 April 2009 17:58

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

Please note that إلى has a ء on the ا

إلى is rarely used to express the idea of "belonging to". This will normally expressed via ل

ل will be attached to the word coming after it.

If your question is in regards to the verb قال, then, think of the ل meaning "for". ie. the said statement was "for" such and such.

I hope that attends to your question.

ابــن منظــور

Nurjahan 24 April 2009 18:00

Please can you put the vowels on the following words:

ضمائر ضمائر متصلة أفعال أفعال مضار عة جمع

Shukran

Arabic Lessons 24 April 2009 18:40

These are as follows;

ضَمَائِرُ ضَمَائِرُ مُتَّصِلَةٌ أَفْعَالٌ أَفْعَالٌ مُضَارِعِِةٌ جَمْعٌ

Please copy and paste this onto Word and enlarge so that you may see all the vowels clearly.

ابــن منظــور

Ambia 28 April 2009 21:50

Assalamualaikum,

Please can you provide more information on the book mentioned in todays class.

Shukran

Arabic Lessons 28 April 2009 23:23

وعليكم السلام

The name of the book is, "A WORD FOR WORD MEANING OF THE QUR'AN" and is written by "MUHAMMAD MOHAR ALI".

There are three volumes to the set and is of a dark red/maroon colour.

ابــن منظــور

Ambia 30 April 2009 22:17

السلام عليكم

Please can you confirm whether pronouns like نحن act in the same manner as demonstrative pronouns i.e can they also be the مبتدأ of a nominal sentence?

شكرا

Arabic Lessons 30 April 2009 22:22

وعليكم السلام

You are correct in saying that pronouns can take the place of a definite subject in a nominal sentence.

ابــن منظــور

Anonymous 02 May 2009 10:10

Assalaamu alaykum

Regarding the word for word translation of the Qur'an, is it worth buying the following three volumes instead?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Study-the-Noble-Quran-Word-for-Word-3-Vols_W0QQitemZ200299107627QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item200299107627&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Jazaakallah Khairan

Arabic Lessons 02 May 2009 15:33

وعليكم السلام

I have ntot read this book and thus, am not in a position to provide my opinions on it.

The book I mentioned has grammatical breakdowns for each word in the manner that we have learnt so far. ie. "sound masculine plural in accusative case".

If the books you suggested does the same breakdown, then it is fine.

Finally note the purchase of this book is not NECESSARY. It will merely provide a reference for your use or a means to develop "Qur'anic" vocabulary.

I hope that helps.

ابــن منظــور

Anonymous 18 June 2009 23:01

Asalamu alaikum

Could you clarify the difference between east written in the two forms شرق مشرق

shukran

Arabic Lessons 21 June 2009 03:19

وعليكم السلام

Please use both of these words interchangeably for now.

The differenct is very subtle indeed. شرق literally means "east". However, the word, مشرق means "the place of rising". ie. the east.

This is a general rule of the م at the begining of a noun. For example, take مسحد which means a "mosque" but in reality means "the place of prostration". ie. mosque

I hope that attends to your query.

ابن منظـور

Nurjahan 09 May 2009 16:45

Asalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

My question is not really part of the course per se, so please excuse me for posting it in this section.

I came across some words spoken by Imam al-Sawi and I was trying to understand the message behind it after I looked up some of the vocab, however, I still cannot understand what the sentence means, please can you shed some light...?

هذا الزمان زمان السكوت ولزوم البيوت ومن يقول الحق فيه يموت

Also, this lead me to ask the question, how would a definite possessed and an indefinite possessor be expressed? Such as 'The time of time' considering the possessed cannot have 'Al' or Tanween.

Also does البيوت mean home?

Also الزمان to me looks like as if it is in a dual format....or is this incorrect?

Sorry if I am confusing everything

Some solutions would be much appreciated!

Wasalaam.

Arabic Lessons 09 May 2009 16:53

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

Please find a translation to the Arabic sentence you posted.

هذا الزمان زمان السكوت ولزوم البيوت ومن يقول الحق فيه يموت

This time is a time of silence and (a time) of staying within the houses. And whoever says the truth, will die in it.

The word بيوت is the broken plural of بيت which we have covered.

We have not learnt how to express the idea of an indefinite possessor possessing a definite item.

However, should we wish to have a definite possessor possessing an indefinite item, we use لِـ

ie A house of the man (Belonging to the man is a house)

لِلرجل بيتٌ

Finally, زمانٌ is not dual but singular. It is similar to ميزانٌ which we covered.

ابــن منظــور

Nurjahan 09 May 2009 17:08
Assalamualaikum wa Rahamatullah,

I just have a quick question.

I was listening to a lecture and the speaker was talking about the 15 verb permutation and he went on to demonstrate a few of them using Muslim, Mu'min and Muhsin. So for example it went like this: اسلاما يسلم اسلمن فهو مسلم

My question is, which verb permutation is he reffering to?

Arabic Lessons 09 May 2009 17:10
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

He is referring to the different forms of verbs. We have only learnt FORM I in our course. That is the three letter one. However, we have also encountered other forms. ie. تَكَلَّمَ

This is a four letter verb with a ت added to the beginning.

We wil iA be covering a lot of these in Level II.

I hope that attends to your question.

ابــن منظــور

anonymous 18 May 2009 14:48

Assalam 'alaikum,

The 'Intensive course Level 1', was it the equivalent to Madina book 1? I am aware that you do not teach nor use the Madina book sylabus however, there have been many emails circulating regarding intensive arabic courses and the levels being taught.

It would be very kind if you could explain how your courses work. Also when will you be holding Level 2 classes?

Shukran.

Arabic Lessons 19 May 2009 13:11

وعليكم السلام

Our "Intensive Modern Standard Arabic I" program, though Level I covers grammar all the way up to Madinah Book 3.

We have created our own syllabus. The notes will be provided. We DO NOT go through Madinah Book 1 as such.

Provided below is a question along with an answer set as homework in our Lesson 2 of the course. Note that there are 10 lessons in total.

Question

Breakdown grammatically the sentence, "The pen is on the table"

Answer

القلمُ على الْمكتبِ

القلمُ مبتدأ مرفوع وعلامة رفعه الضمة. موجودٌ خبر مرفوع وعلامة رفعه الضمة ومحذوف. على حرف جر. المكتبِ اسم مجرور وعلامة جره الكسرة

The format of these lessons can be found on;

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-online-arabic-course.html

Finally, our LEVEL I APPLIED and LEVEL II will be taught at earliest, in July.

Please read our student reviews from 1st year university students to also get a feel for the level of Arabic we teach.

We hope that answers your questions.

ابـــن منظـــور

View user profile http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum