The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Saudi Arabian Kingdom

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Anzeena

Assalamu Alaikum

I was slightly confused about one thing; I understand in المملكة العربية السعدية the latter two words are adjectives so should follow in case, definition, gender and number.

Would the i'raab be kasrah on all three words or are the latter two words indicated by the dammah

Jazakum Allahu Khayran

Wassalam

2The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty Re: The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Walaikumusalaam wa Rahmatullah,

My dear Anzeena, I too share your sentiments and I am perplexed as to why the rules differ in this specific case.

I feel it best to await the feedback of another more enlighten than ourselves. Think you not so?

Wink

3The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty Re: The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 pm

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Correct!

Both the words after are adjectives and so should agree in the 4 ways mentioned. So it will all depend on the case of المملكة.

I think there is another post that deals with the same question. Please ensure that they are interlinked.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

4The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty Re: The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

This is was Nurjahan's answer to another question regarding the Saudi Arabian Kingdom:

Nurjahan wrote:
As for المملكةُ العربيةُ السعديةُ the latter two words although are translated as 'Kingdom of Saudi Arabia' are considered as adjectives probably more accurately translated as 'The saudi Arabaian Kingdom,' so the description is not in a possesive structure.

5The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty Re: The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 am

ShahelaBegum

The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is like مستشفى الولادة I'm guessing? The hospital being a noun fixed on the fatha? 'maternity' the adjective ...If a preposition came before it the 'hospital' will remain the same but shouldn't the adjective 'maternity also take the fatha? To agree with four ways? I did that with the المملكةُ العربيةُ السعديةُ in the homework I put them all as genitive so they agree in the four areas. How come this wasn't correct? and the last two words are in dhammah?

6The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Empty Re: The Saudi Arabian Kingdom Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

!السلام عليكم أختي

You are correct in suggesting that when we say 'The kingdom OF Saudi Arabia it is the same as 'The hospital of Maternity' (The Maternity hospital). However the correct translation is 'The Saudi Arabian Kingdom', this is an adjectival structure, so depending on what case the noun is the next adjectives will follow suit.

HOWEVER, the example you gave مستشفى الولادة is in fact a possessive construction (idafah), so not the same as 'The Saudi Arabian Kingdom' after all. I can see where the confusion came from, it's because many people refer to KSA as the 'Kingdom OF Saudi Arabia' IMPLYING that it is an idafah when really in Arabic it is not!

I hope that makes sense inshAllah.

والسلام

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum