The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arabic Book Reviews

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Arabic Book Reviews Empty Arabic Book Reviews on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:57 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم

It would be nice to discuss any books you've purchased recently, or in the past, to supplement your Arabic learning.
Review it and rate it here!

I'll start off with the first Arabic Dictionary I ever bought:

Hans Wehr - A Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic (1980 Edition)

Arabic Book Reviews 2-hans_wehr

It is quite hard to get your head around if you're a first time user, but once you pick up on the traditional root system - things start falling into place. Sometimes the lack of vowelisation on some words makes it frustrating trying to locate the right word, but overallو the content is quite extensive. However, using this dictionary as a reference point seems to be the best course of action as just trying to learn from it without the correct context, causes a great deal of confusion!

My rating: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

مع السلامة

View user profile

2Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I stumbled across the following book in my brothers study, having read, skimmed, researched many books on Grammar and Syntax before, I was very much impressed by this book and its simplistic method of conveying the various grammar rules.

Imdad-us-Sarf ( Grammar)

Author: Muhammad Imdad Hussain Pirzada

Arabic Book Reviews 50872

I particularly like the way the Author makes it easy for students new to the language by using the full harakat system when introducing terms. I have found in other books on grammar and syntax the Author may neglect to vowelise the terms used so as new students it is very difficult guess the pronunciation of the term. In my case I would spend hours trying to find the word with its full harakat...which admittedly isn't the best of ways to spend one's study time.

Also the book has worked examples, so at the end of every lesson in the book there are verses from Quran which is presented to the student to firstly translate, and secondly give full grammar break down of. I found this an excellent method of testing your understanding and also a very enjoyable one.

My rating for this book is 4 stars as this is definitely the best book I have come across so far regarding the subject. There is also a similar book available on Syntax by the same Author which I have yet to read.

Last edited by Nurjahan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

3Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Mastering Grammar
Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar

Arabic Book Reviews Masteringgrammar

I decided to buy this book because I was aware that it was being used by a friend who was learning the incorporated into an extended curriculum.

It was, admittedly, quite an expensive book in comparison with previous books I had bought and I'm not sure if it can be said it is worth the money.

The positive aspects of the books is the simplistic manner in which grammar is explained, the book could be picked up by any one and quite well understood. The style of the written English was in a clear and concise manner with accompanying illustrations for those who get bored easily by words.

The illustrations were useful as they added a new dynamic to the book, with some pictures being of a humorous nature which no doubt facillitates the visual learning aspect.

The layout of the book is also very visually appealing, with boxed sections and 'Work Through' sections. There were also small sections for those wanting to understand and learn the voweling of the last letter of a word.

I found the summary boxes an excellent method of testing and reviewing ones understanding of the work covered.

On the negative side, I would say the book was fairly inconsistent in the way grammar terms/words were vowelised, so unless one had prior knowledge of the word it would be hard to pronounce. There are examples where the sentences would be written without vowels however a transliteration would be given, I felt this was similar to 'doing the work twice' as the student would need to read the transliteration and incorporate it into the written .

I also found that the book had the habit of 'sukoon-ing' all the words, so the essence of voweling words was lost and cases were skimmed over i.e. Nominative, accusative etc. If I didn't have prior knowledge I feel I would find it hard to understand the concepts of Cases.

Overall I would rate the book as 2.5 Stars, it is a good book to have on the shelf and go through as a means of summarising previously taught material.

View user profile

4Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Treasures of Morphology

Maulana Ebrahim Muhammad

Arabic Book Reviews 419amXoHv6L._SL500_AA230_

I originally had a copy of this book on my PC in PDF format, however, when I skimmed over the book I decided it was definitely worthwhile having in hard copy.

In terms of cost the book was very cheap and definitely a worth while buy.

I have yet to finish the book but so far I feel it is very informative and well written in style.

View user profile

5Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Modern Practical Dictionary
English-Bengali-Arabic

Author: Prof. A. S. Matlub Ahmed

This is another book which I stumbled across in my brothers study and excitedly lugged home to study after glancing through the pages and realising it is a dictionary which has the full voweling for every word. (I may seem to be a little too eager on the voweling side, but as a student it really helps me pronounce the words and memorise them correctly)

I have no idea where the book was bought from and if it is still in print, never the less I found it unique and easy to navigate dictionary. The vocabulary is split up according to theme, for example house hold items in one chapter, countries of the world in a separate chapter, body parts, family relations etc, this made it quite easy to navigate through according to subject matter.

Verbs were presented in all three tenses which made it very easy to memorise and presented according to the different categories which they fall under i.e. weak verbs etc.

I enjoyed using this dictionary more than the Hans Wher as I found it was less complicated to navigate through therefore I was able to study it for longer periods of time without getting bored, whereas Hans Wehr was sitting neglected collecting dust on the bookshelf.

I feel this dictionary would probably give me a good foundation to then go onto appreciate more sophisticated dictionaries such as Hans Wehr.

View user profile

6Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
The Madinah Books Series

Arabic Book Reviews Madinah1

These were the first set of books I bought on the Language. It is a very well written series, easy to navigate through and easy to learn from, whether one was to be learning on their own or under the supervision of a teacher.

I still use it as a reference point and occasionally comb through the chapters and note down all the new vocabulary I am unfamiliar with and the grammar rules which apply to them.

It is an excellent book to have on the shelf for every English speaking student wanting to further in the Language. The English writing style is simple to read and understand and I found myself reading through the book and scribbling down notes unaware of the time ticking by. I found it a highly interesting book and a very enjoyable read.

Overall I found it is an excellent set of books to have as a hard copy to refer back to and read through.

View user profile

7Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
وعليكم السلام

Nurjahan wrote:Treasures of Morphology

Maulana Ebrahim Muhammad

Arabic Book Reviews 419amXoHv6L._SL500_AA230_

I originally had a copy of this book on my PC in PDF format..

جزاك الله خيراً نورجهان

I decided that as this was something that I could get a hold of immediately, I'd check if it was still available on the internet. The retail price is about £5 and if anyone else wants the link to the book (358 pages):

http://special.worldofislam.info//pdf/Treasures_of__Morphology.pdf

View user profile

8Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:50 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Alternatively one can purchase off Amazon from the following link/sellar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/9698863931/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I found their service was highly efficient and I received the book a day after placing my order despite the fact I opted for the 'free delivery' service.

View user profile

9Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:54 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
I bought this book about 3 months ago...

501 Verbs
Author: Scheindlin, Raymond P.
Barron's Educational Series Inc.,U.S.

Arabic Book Reviews 51h0-j0zdpL._SL500_AA240_

It has a list of 501 verbs in the passive/active voice. The verbs are congugated in all forms and there are working examples of usage for each verb.

However, as Nurjahan says - many books seem to lack vowelisation which makes it increasingly confusing for new students to understand. I would recommend this foreign langauge guide as it is quite extensive, but if you need to search for a verb in a hurry, this might not be so helpful.

It is priced between £10-13 on various different sites, but I think it is a good book to have on your shelf.

Rating: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

View user profile

10Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:36 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah!

I was given this book as a gift by a very lovely person and from the outset although it doesn't look like a Arabic 'student-y' book When I flicked through the pages I was delighted at what I found inside!

Arabic Book Reviews Provisions_full

The book is split up into three parts. Part one covers Hadiths which are various forms of nominal sentences, so sentences which start with 'la' 'inna' 'innama' this section also covers verbal sentences, imperative/prohibitive sentences etc. So basically most of what we covered in level one, only we have Hadith as examples and the breakdowns and meaning of the sentences are given below!

Part 2 and 3 deal with slightly more advances language but it is still a wonder to read through!

I'm so pleased with this book, and although I have yet to finish it, I think its one of the best books I have and I think everyone should buy this book...or hint for it to be given as a gift Wink

View user profile

11Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:51 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
I was given this book also as a gift which was useful because unlike the Hans Wehr you can look up the words in English and the Arabic translation(s) are given adjacent.

Arabic Book Reviews 798125_a_500

I think I prefer Hans Wehr because its more comprehensive, but this dictionary is good to keep as a reference.

I think what lets the dictionary down is that the words are not vowelised whereas in Hans Wehr at least an English transliteration is given. Al Mawrid in this case can get a bit confusing...!

The good points are that its pocket size, so it looks cute! lol Also its in colour which...stimulates the eyes (when one is falling asleep..ahem Wink) and it also has lovely little pictures which I think is a nice touch.

View user profile

12Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:06 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Teach Yourself Arabic
Authur: A. T. Ayyad
Ta-Ha Publishers

Arabic Book Reviews 004225-teach-yourself-arabic

This book was given to me as a gift. I haven't had a chance to work through it as I would like to, but I have skimmed over the pages. I will update this post once I can give a better review.

However, so far, I really like this book because it starts at the basic, with the vowels and the letters, and it works its way through the various sentence structures, common conversational phrases, the days of the week, the months etc. It also has a section dedicated to conversational speech which the student would read through and understand, therefore covers comprehension and even has a little section towards the end on Arabic Proverbs.

Throughout the book there are work through sections, and because it starts at the basic one can literally teach themselves without the aid of a teacher.

I think this is a good book to have because it takes on a different approach to the other books I have seen, and also varying the angles of learning I think helps greatly in aiding one's own understanding and confidence with the language.

View user profile

13Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:16 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
Basic Qur'anic Arabic Grammar
Arthur: Jamal-Un-Nisa Bint Rafai, Ph.D.

Ta-Ha Publishers

Arabic Book Reviews Basic-quranic-arabic-grammar%20%5B%5D-01

Given to me as a gift, I have yet to finish the book so I will update the post once I can give a more through review.

View user profile

14Arabic Book Reviews Empty Re: Arabic Book Reviews on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:34 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
السلام عليكم

I found this book on my dad's desk a couple of weeks ago, but because the cover was was wrappeed I didn't give much attention to it before. Anyway, turns out he tried his hand at Arabic when I was small - pretty cool!

So, here is it:

Arabic Book Reviews Learn_arabic_in__days_idj597
Author: N.S.R.Granathe, M.A [San]; M.A. [Hin]
Balaji Publications, 1997

From the outset, it looks like it might never work - but its 160 pages contain vowellised vocabulary lists, sentences, lots of Grammar notes and Conversation examples. However, though I generally prefer a longer read and more detail; the simple style and A6 size is handy for a beginner - when you need to keep something in your bag for quick reading.

مع السلامة

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum