The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Q&A - to be sorted

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Nurjahan 06 May 2009 15:29

Assalamualaikum,

I came across this dua:

اللهم اجعل صمتي فكراً ونطقي ذكراً

and Alhamdulilah, from the taught material was able to translate it as:

'Our God make my silence thoughts, and my speech rememberance.' (that was the literal translation)

however I have a few questions because after I reviewed the actual translation it said 'Oh Allah, make my silence [good] thoughts
And my speech [Your] remembrance' so how is it in the text 'good' is implied and 'your' is implied?

Also I attempted adding the vowels however I am not sure if I got this correct:

اللهمَ اِجْعَلْ صمتِي فكراً ونطقِي ذكراً

I am not sure if I got the vowels right on the imperative اِجْعَلْ

Also if thoughts is فكراً does that mean the vowels on the alif is always fixed? Is it also the same rule for ذكراً?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arabic Lessons 09 May 2009 17:01

وعليكم السلام

Though your translation is correct, there are "implied" words within this sentence. This requires the use of our intuition.

For example, since we are asking Allah for something, then we cannot possibly supplicate such that He gives us bad thoughts. Thus, the thoughts here must be "good" ones.

In terms of rememberance, then we must again follow the same thought process as above. We are supplicating for no one except Allah. We would not ask Allah to make our rememberance of that of idols say.

Your vowelling is indeed correct. The past terms verb of "he made" is جَعَلَ while the present, "he is making" is يَجْعَلُ and we have learnt how to construct the imperative in Lesson 10 of the course.

Finally, فكراً and ذكراً has an alif as it is the object, accusative which is shown by الفتحة. Due to the fact that there is a تنوين we must add an alif as learnt previously.

I hope that attends to your queries.

ابــن منظــور

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F 09 May 2009 17:02

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

I just wanted to ask a quick question, is the sukoon on an imperative declineable? For example, if I come across the 'meeting of to sukoons' as with the presence of a definite object
e.g. اِفهمْ الكتابَ! Can I then change the sukoon on اِفهمْ into a kasra for vocative harmony?

JazaakAllahu Khairan

Arabic Lessons 09 May 2009 17:05
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

The rule of the "meeting of two sukoons" still applies due to voactive harmony.

Thus, "understand the book", would be;

اِفْهَمِ الْكِتَابَ

ابــن منظــور

HD 10 May 2009 11:28

Assalaamu 'alaikum

I wanted to ask a question regarding the homework.
For one of the questions we need to use the word 'speech', what word would we use for this?

Jazaak'Allaahu Khayran

Arabic Lessons 10 May 2009 17:12

وعليكم السلام

Please use the word كلامٌ for speech.

ابــن منظــور

Nurjahan 15 May 2009 00:04

Assalmualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I remembered a verse in the Qur'an that had within it a number of commands however when I looked it up I noticed some of the commands do not follow the rule/pattern we were taught.

The verse is the last verse of Surah Al Imran where Allah says:

يأيها الذين ءامنوااصبرُوا وصابرُوا ورابطُوا واتقوااللهَ لعلكم تفلحون

My question is why are the later commands which are each time preceded by و not in sukoon form with ا?

Also, what is the difference between اصبرُوا and وصابرُوا because in the translation they seem to have the same meaning.

Also my last question, and this is slightly off topic, which translation resembles الغني more accurately: rich or independent? Or does this depend on context? I've heard a few students of knowledge refer to الغني meaning 'independent' in the context that Allah is الغني and we are الفقير meaning we are dependent or in need.

Shukran

Arabic Lessons 15 May 2009 18:22

وعليكم السلام عليكم ورحمة الله

The commands taught in level one are all FORM I. We will cover more of the 15 forms in LEVEL II.

Thus, the commands in the ayah or of different forms.

Let us analyse اصبروا and صابروا.

The first command, اصبروا is the normal FORM I command we learnt, meaning "have patience". Note this is conjugated in the masculine plural but refers to everyone.

The second command, صابروا which is FORM III does not mean the same as اصبروا. Here, the translation is of the lines of, "Excel in patience".

Finally, if one thinks about the word الغني, it could, mean both "the rich" and "the independent". Is it not the case that one who is rich does not depend on anything to attain wealth?

But الفقير who is "the poor" is dependent on his job, say, as without it, he will have no food to eat. Thus, he is dependent.

Therefore, both translations have the same meaning in principle. It is upon the person analysing to decipher what would be the best translation. This would normally be deciphered through context.

Finally, please note that the art of taking meaning from meaning is a science and one needs to be very familiar with the Arabic language to be able to think and translate in this manner.

I hope that attends to your query.

ابــن منظــور

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

2Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:50 am

Anzeena

Assalamu Alaykum

1/ When translating ‘o boy’, why is ولد with a dammah and not dammah tayn?
2/ When conjugating when would one use ل and إلى when translating the word ‘to’?
3/ In commands such as ‘listen to her’, is the to only there to the allow the sentence to make sense? In reality is the ‘to’ not required, therefore one would say اسمع إليهاrather it should be اسمعها?
When translating ‘request knowledge’, why is it اطلب العم and not اطلب علمًا as it does say ‘request the knowledge’? Does the command make it definite?

Wassalam

Last edited by Anzeena on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : error (font size))

3Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 am

Anzeena

Assalamu Alaykum

I asked ustaadh regarding the above questions;

1/ This is the rule of "yaa". Although we have not done this as part of the course notes it was a point mentioned in class. The tanween on ولد will disappear

2) إلى has a sense of space. ie I am going TO the mosque. Whereas in the sentence ‘it is important TO you’ you would use ل as there is no ‘space’ involved, and so it would not make sense to use إلى

3) When we memorised the verbs, we noticed that some came with prepositions (transitive/intransitive verbs). When we turn these verbs into commands, those without preposition such as he heard has no preposition attached, therefore when we say ‘listen!’ no preposition is required. Therefore one would use اسمعها

4/ "Knowledge" here is actually definite as it refers to a conecpt. It is not, request (a) knowledge, but rather, request (the) knowledge. However, in english we do not say request the knowledge when referring to knowledge in general. (ustaadh’s exact words)

Wassalam

4Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:02 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please note the additional information;

A typo correction in your work;

Should read اطلب العلم as opposed to اطلب العم

Note that the latter means, "request the uncle (paternal)".

In regards to more clarification;

سمع means "he heard".

Therefore, اسمعها would mean, "hear her". Note this is slightly different from, "listen to her" but for your homework, this would suffice.

If you wanted to say listen to her, please see the following;

استمع إلى - he listened to

Thus, this verb requires a preposition. Listen to her would now be; استمع إليها.

You have not been taught how to formulate the commands of these types verbs yet. ie verbs with more than three letters. This is for informative purposes only.

ابــــن منظــــور

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum