The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grammar of a sentence from the Qur'an

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Grammar of a sentence from the Qur'an Empty Grammar of a sentence from the Qur'an Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please have an attempt and vowelising, translating and grammatically analysing the following ayah from the Qur'an.

واذكر في الكتاب إبرهيم

Hint: Use a logical manner to vowelise and ensure this vowelisation makes sense. If it does not, it is most probably wrong.

Last edited by ابــــــن منظــــــور on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Ambia

Ambia
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

وَاُذْكُرْ فِيْ الكِتَابِ إبْرَهِيْمَ

And mention in the Book of Ibrahim

اُذْكُرْ - command

في - حرف جار

الكتاب - اسم مجرور بالكسرة ومضاف

إبْرَهِيْمَ - مضاف إليه مجرور بالفتحة

This is my best attempt, I was unsure about وَاذكر and whether it was a command or not. Secondly I was also unsure whether the Book of Ibrahim was a possessive construction or not, also if it is a possessive construction, how come الكتاب has Al if it is the possessed item? Is it because Ibrahim is a diptote and definiteness is shown in الكتاب ? Please clarify. JazakAllah Khair

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

واذْكُرْ فيِ الكتابِ إبرهيمَ

Translation: 'And remember in the book, Ibrahim.' (I chose to translate it 'remember' from the verb ذَكَرَ)

Grammatical Breakdown:

و = واو العطفِ

اذْكُرْ = فعل الأمرِ (It could have been first person imperfect e.g. أذْكُرُ as 'I remember' but assuming that this sentence is from the Qur'an, then if Allah is speaking, it is most likely that he is giving a command (or warning), as he is not likely to forget something and then 'remember' it, he is all-knowing). It all depends on the context, it could just be a human being commanding another to rememebr Ibrahim.

في = حرف جار No doubt this is a preposition.

الكتاب = اسم مجرور بالكسرة This is the prepositional complement and therefore in the genetive case

إبْرَهِيْمَ = مفعول به منصوب بالفتحة
1. Ibrahim could have been written as the subject instead e.g. إبْرَهِيْمُ however, commanding Ibrahim to 'remember in the book' does not entirely make sense, as we may ask 'rememebr what?' and 'in which book?' - Lets not forget however, that this Ibrahim may not be the prophet Ibrahim AS.

2. Also if the the verb had actually been أذْكُرُ (first person present tense)then it would mean that Ibrahim could not be the subject either as his name would not be used, but rather أنا

3. Ibrahim cannot be مضاف إليه the possesor of the book as Ambia mentions, because the definition cannot lie on the book itself, i.e. it cannot have ال, only the possesor embodies the definition of the whole construction (And there is no need to add a definite article as Ibrahim is a name - and is therefore, already definite by default)

So my final conclusion was to make Ibrahim the object as Allah (or someone else) would most likely be commanding someone to remember Ibrahim (i.e. about his actions written) in the book.

However, a question does come to mind... which book?
I think in this case, Allah is using the book to mean 'history' or throughout the Qur'an.

Any more ideas anyone?

مع السلامة

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

وَاذْكُرْ في الْكتابِ إبرهيمَ
Translation: ‘And remember in the book, Ibrahim’

Grammar Breakdown:
اُذْكُرْ فعل أمر
في حرف جر
الْكتابِ اسم مجرور بالكسرة
إبرهيمَ مفعول به منصوب بالفتحة

Note: وَاذْكُرْ is vowelised as such for vocative harmony. The command ‘And remember in the book Ibrahim’ on its own can seems confusing, however it is still a valid command out of context.

Within context this command can mean something else so the vowelings are prone to change, for example ‘And remember in the book, Ibrahim….’ Where the sentence carries on to talk about Ibrahim, in this case I am unsure of the vowelings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum