The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Surati Aali 'Imran - 5

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Surati Aali 'Imraan searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

خَلَقَهُ مِن تُرَابٍ ثُمَّ قَالَ لَهُ كُن فَيَكُونُ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

خَلَقَهُ مِن تُرَابٍ ثُمَّ قَالَ لَهُ كُن فَيَكُونُ

خَلَقَهُ – He created him
مِن – from
تُرَابٍ – soil*
ثُمَّ – and then
قَالَ – He said
لَهُ – to him
كُن – Be! (or exist)**
فَيَكُونُ – so they (m3+) [are] existing/will come to exist***

*Hans Wehr definition of تُرَابٍ ; Dust, earth, dirt, ground, soil

** كان is the perfect tense which can be understood as He was; He existed; [it] happened; [it] took place etc and therefore كُن will have the same meaning only it is an imperative therefore can be understood as ‘Be!’ or ‘Exist’ according to the thing being commanded.

*** This I found the most interesting of all the more I thought about it. يَكُونُ is the imperfect tense therefore encompasses both the present and the future, normally we accept it as the present tense however this doesn’t always have to be the case. I think by looking at the context we can probably say the imperfect tense shows that the thing being referred to in general (human kind) were commanded to exist so they are existing and we can also understand it as they will come to exist also as many are yet to be born.

On a side note, this is quite a famous verse so I remember it being quoted many times as ‘He created him [man] from soil and then he said to him; Be! And he was.’

Any ideas why….anyone?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum