The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Surati Aali 'Imran - 6

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Surati Aali 'Imraan searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

وَيَقُولُونَ عَلَى اللَّهِ الْكَذِبَ وَهُمْ يَعْلَمُونَ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

وَيَقُولُونَ - And they say*
عَلَى - upon
اللَّهِ - Allah
الْكَذِبَ - Deceit, the act of Lying*
وَهُمْ - and they
يَعْلَمُونَ - (are) the knowing

وَيَقُولُونَ عَلَى اللَّهِ الْكَذِبَ وَهُمْ يَعْلَمُونَ
Translation: And they pronounce upon Allah, Deceit, and they are (pronounce themselves as) the ones who know.

* وَيَقُولُونَ The ongoing tense is used as they were not the only ones to say such things, and they are not the only set of slanderers to come.

* Here, I thought the word الْكَذِبَ is in the place where the object should be, but I was confused as the word كَذِبٌ did not come up in the dictionary. So then I looked up كَذِبَ which translates to 'the act of lying', i.e. the verbal noun? It was strange as it ends with a فتحة but is not listed as a verb.

The 'act of lying' meaning made me change وَيَقُولُونَ from '...say' into '...pronounce', as pronouncing someone as something, is to name them indirectly. So in an indirect way, they are calling Allah a Liar, but of course such a disgusting title in regards to Allah is an abomination - thus it has been eloquently put, that they pronounce upon him the act of lying, but he, Allah, is innocent of that and does no wrong.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum