The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Surati Aali 'Imran - 9

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Surati Aali 'Imraan searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

مِّنْهُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ وَأَكْثَرُهُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I'm finding this one confusing, firstly because the مِّنْهُمُ has thrown me, why does مِّ have shaddat??
Secondly, the sentence in literal translation doesn't make sense...? I think this could be because I have translated it wrong.

Here is my attempt:

مِّنْهُمُ - From them (m3+)
الْمُؤْمِنُونَ - [are] the believers (SMP)
وَأَكْثَرُهُمُ - and many [of] them
الْفَاسِقُونَ - [are] the wrong doers (SMP)

I think مِّنْهُمُ actually means 'among them,' because then it starts to make a little bit more sense.

I took a wild guess at what أَكْثَرُ is, it looks suspiciously like an imperative but this isn't possible.

Can anyone help me out here....?

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

مِّنْهُمُ - from them**
الْمُؤْمِنُونَ - (are) the believing ones*
وَأَكْثَرُهُمُ - and (but) most of them*
الْفَاسِقُونَ- (are) the immoral/unchaste ones*

Translation: '...from them are the believing ones, and most of them are the immoral ones.'

* Firstly, I noticed the shaddah on the م too and thought that perhaps it is as a result of continuation from the verse beforehand. Also I noticed in an earlier verse, غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ, notice that ر of رَّحِيمٌ has a shaddah on it. Perhaps this is not grammatical but for vocative purposes as there is a ر at the end of غَفُورٌ ?

* Also from the same part, I felt that when the preposition 'from' is used regarding people (and we know it is people referred to here as the sound masculine plural is used and not the singular feminine that is used for non-human plurals), it is likely they may talking about birth, i.e. that these people are borne from a certain person/group of people. So the translation could have been 'born from them are...'

* I put 'are' in the translation as this is a nominal sentence. I have read that the predicate may be definite if it is preceeded by a pronoun or if it itself is a pronoun. So here we have الْمُؤْمِنُونَ preceeded by the pronoun هُمْ. On top of this, without knowing the above - we can tell that الْمُؤْمِنُونَ is nominative, indicated by و.

* Here أَكْثَرُ (MOST of) is in a Superlative structure (the adjective's most quantative form), i.e. it is an adjective (كَثِيرٌ) (much) in the form of أفْعَلُ and attached to a genetive definite noun or pronoun, i.e. هُمْ (they)
Note: The Comparative structure (using the adjective to compare) must have a مِنْ in between and the adjective is indefinite, e.g. عالِمٌ (learned). This leads me to believe that the beginning of the verse cound be the second part of the comparitive structure as it started with مِنْ, so it could have been عالِمٌ مِّنْهُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ (the learned of/among them are the believing ones) (I am unsure if عالِمٌ should have been in the plural form). This would also fit it with why the م has a shaddah as عالمٌ has a م at the end of it.

* فاسقٌ in Al-Mawrid, says it means, letch, immoral, debauched, unchaste - so the 'wrongdoing' is specific in this case, relating to chastity.

I hope my translation makes some sense إن شاء الله...What do you think?

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

It seems to have took a lot of investigative work and it's definitely more sensical* than my own attempt...!

Jazakillahu Khairan

*I know such word doesn't exist but it should! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum