The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advanced - Khan Wars

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advanced - Khan Wars Empty Advanced - Khan Wars Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

Not a language learning tool as such, but it might amuse someone:

'Maktoob.com, the world’s largest Arabic online community with over 12 million unique users, has unveiled ‘Khan Wars‘, a free, strategy-based online game played directly through the Web browser. The Arabic-language game was launched at the first Dubai World Game Expo, which opened yesterday at the Dubai International Exhibition Centre.

Available exclusively on Maktoob.com, ‘Khan Wars’ is designed to recreate medieval times, bringing to life epic battles of an ancient era by leveraging war simulation technologies. ‘Khan Wars’ can be played from any computer with just a Web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, and doesn’t necessitate downloads.'

Gamers can register for the free, browser-based game by logging on to:

http://khanwars.maktoob.com

I think a person with an advanced level of proficiency would need to play it. Post if it was any good...

مع السلامة

2Advanced - Khan Wars Empty Re: Advanced - Khan Wars Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Niiiice. MashaAllah you seem to come up with the most unique of sites

That actually touches on a topic I was thinking about. Have you ever studied Islamic History in Arabic? Do they do that at University?? I don't know, I'm an avid follower of Islamic History. I find history fascinating, and when I read and listen to lectures regarding this subject I noticed that lecturers tend to give word for word quotations in Arabic, most of the time narrating entire conversations between two people. Its almost as if History was recorded down right to the last dot!

I'm thinking it would probably be pretty amazing studying the subject in Arabic.

3Advanced - Khan Wars Empty Re: Advanced - Khan Wars Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:13 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

جزاك الله خيراً

As yet, first year has only touched on the basic literature from the contemporary Arab World, and even then only in English. I've taken a module for second year which will look at comparisons between Islam in Modernity and old world history, should be interesting إن شاء الله (not looking forward to remembering names and dates though). The shortcoming however, is that the module will not entirely be taught in Arabic...I agree it would be amazing to be able to speak and decipher knowledge in the original itself - however, word-for-word translations tend not to emulate the richness of the text, but either understate or over-emphasise bits and pieces.

I enjoy looking at different texts in context - analysing scenes, situations, reasons, people, behaviour, speech, form, etc. So I suppose you could say I'm an 'avid follower' of literature. It's not so much the timing or the technicalities that interest me, but rather the thought and content - do you know what I mean?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum