The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Q&A - to be sorted

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Q&A - to be sorted Empty Q&A - to be sorted Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

F 26 April 2009 20:47

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

Ya Ustaadhu,

I have a few questions regarding lesson 8 and a couple which realte to most of the lessons as they are more general, thus I have included them here:

1) Is it possible to put an adjective in the middle of an إضافة construction e.g. in the translation of 'the tall men of the market'? Can I therefore, put 'tall' after 'men' or should I place it after 'market'?

2) How do I define a subject which is contained in the verb. For example رأيتُ is congugated with the first person and thus without explicitly saying أنا we know that 'أنا' is the subject. How do we record this grammatically in our breakdown?

3) Whilst doing the translation excercise on page 5, question 2, I realised that if the man asked the 'prophet' (SAW) a 'question' then here the 'man' is the subject, 'asked' is the verb BUT there seems to be two objects! The prophet and the question, as the action of the verb seems to be falling upon them both? Is this possible and is it correct to infer this from the sentence?

Lastly, two general questions:

a) The prophet (SAW) is mentioned a few times so far in our notes, I wanted to ask if it is possible to shorten صلى الله عليه وسلم so that I can use it whenever I need to mention the prophet's (SAW) name in my work?

b) What should we call the sentence/word connector و in out grammatical breakdowns?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arabic Lessons 27 April 2009 00:21

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

Please find the answers to your questions below.

1) Possessive structures can never be broken at all. Thus, adjectives must come after the possessive structure.

2) The subject in this case will be implied in the verb. You need to mention this when grammatically breaking this down.

3) Some verbs govern two objects. In this case, there would be two objects.

a) You can abbreviate this using ص. This is the equivalent of "SAS" in English.

b) We call this, واو العطفِ.

I hope that attends to your query.

ابــن منظــور
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F 27 April 2009 09:37

JazaakAllahu khairal jazaa'i

The explanantion was very helpful. I just wanted to ask a further question about my question 2:

For the implied subject, do we just add و فاعلٌ after the breakdown the verb i.e.
فعلٌ ماضٍ مبنيٌ على الفتحِ و فاعلٌ

Wassalaam

Arabic Lessons 27 April 2009 12:14

If you come across a verb in which the suject is implied, please explain this in English. We will cover this in more detail in Level II.

ابــن منظــور

Ambia 05 July 2009 23:12

Assalamualaikum,

I have a question in relation to diptotes and its casing when it is in the genitive case as well as when its possessed.

For instance in the construction of '..from the prophets of Allah' would the word for prophets be أنبياءُ, if so then would it be correct to indicate its genetivity via a kasra even though it contradicts the rule associated with diptotes and its indicator (i.e fatha) for genetivity.

I hope this makes sense iA.

JazakAllah Khairan

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

2Q&A - to be sorted Empty 'He Sent' which verb is appropriate? Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Anzeena

Assalamu Alaykum

What is the difference between بعث and رسل? Which verb is used for the sentence 'Allah sent many messengers'?

Wassalam

3Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:33 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Wa alaikumus salaam

Use بعث as "he sent" in regards to any general sense. However, أرسل (comes from رسل) means, "he sent" in regards to a message to be conveyed. Therefore, it is used in a more specific sense. Please note the words رسول and رسالة for further refelection.

ابـــــن منظـــــور

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum