The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Possession, duals and their cases

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Possession, duals and their cases Empty Possession, duals and their cases Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:27 pm

ShahelaBegum

1)How come 'The lord of the two easts' in the arabic is written as possessor first and possessed afterwards?
If I were with my lack of knowledge to break that down I would have put mudaf ilayhi as the 'the two easts' but that cant be the possessor?
same with Ayat in Surah An-Naas 'the god of mankind'

2)When dual(ising)words... does the Harf 'ya' always signify the accusative case? and the the alif the nominative case? what about the genitive case? How do we know which case it should be?

3)If I were to change فهم to the present it is يفهم If i were to change it to the feminine present tense would it be يَفْهَمَتَ

4)In lesson 4 the homework 'two heavy words on the scale' the word scales was put as tanween ميز١نٌ How come it isnt majrur? Doesnt the preoposition before that affect the tanween?

2Possession, duals and their cases Empty Re: Possession, duals and their cases Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Abdul Basith

Abdul Basith
طالــب ابــن منظــور

1) In this sentence it still follows the 'possessed first and then the possessor'

Think of it like this بيت الولد
means 'the house of the boy' however in English we say 'the boy's house'. Similarly we say the two east's lord.

I don't like to say this but the term lord in this case is the possessed one because he is their lord.

2)genetive is also shown by 'Ya' the same as accusative.

3)تَفْهَمِيْنَ

4) I could not find this in the homework maybe you can post the the exact way it is written

3Possession, duals and their cases Empty Re: Possession, duals and their cases Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I think I know which question is being reffered to here; Two heavy words on the scales. Yet على does not influence المزان if we were to apply the normal rules we would presume the correct way to say this is على المزين ....?

I was a bit stumped by this myself. The latter sounds incorrect...true?

4Possession, duals and their cases Empty Re: Possession, duals and their cases Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 pm

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Should you say;

على الميزانِ

then it would be majroor.

However, note you were asked to say "in" and so you should have used في. Nonetheless, the same concept still applies.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

5Possession, duals and their cases Empty Re: Possession, duals and their cases Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am

ShahelaBegum

Ok was redoing my homework and this time understanding it just that little bit more. I thought ok I got the GRAMMATICAL break down of the dual case Marfu' indicated by bil alifi.. How come في. الميزانِ is majrur bil alifi and not by bil ya i?

6Possession, duals and their cases Empty Re: Possession, duals and their cases Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:42 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

المزانُ is actually not a dual but a single noun as it means 'scale' and not 'two scales.' Having said this, the word does imply the idea of two balances (I think).

Notice the default case, marfu' is indicated by ضمة so the word is not المزانِ but المزانُ or مزانٌ so the normal grammar rules apply.

The rule of duals will apply were we to say 'two scales' as in two different complete scales, in such a case the word does become a dual.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]