The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 objects in a verbal sentence

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12 objects in a verbal sentence Empty 2 objects in a verbal sentence Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Anzeena

QUESTION 1

I am finding it really difficult to understand the breakdown of the following dua:

'O Allah, Make the Qur'aan the spring of our hearts'

Why is the spring the object as well as the Qur'aan.

I understand that there can be two objects such as 'Allah made the sun and the moon'.

I suppose it's easy to recognise the two objects in the duaa via the fathah but I can't understand the concept.

If we look at the following sentences:

1/ Throw the ball far

2/ Open the door sideways

Isn't this informing us about how to carry out the verb (e.g throw far, open sideways etc); like the predicate (although the predicate is not in the verbal sentence)

QUESTION 2

Say 'He is Allah' (although we break it down individually, would the speach therefore be the object here?

Last edited by Anzeena on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 am; edited 3 times in total

22 objects in a verbal sentence Empty Re: 2 objects in a verbal sentence Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 am

Anzeena

USTAADH'S ANSWERS

QUESTION 1

Please note that in Arabic there are many different types of objects. You have so far learnt one. You will learn more in Level II.

First of all please note that your 2 examples (given below) is as you said, providing additional information on how the verb should be carried out. As mentioned in class, these are ADVERBS.

1/ Throw the ball far

However, the dua which is, "O Allah, Make the Qur'aan the spring of our hearts", you should notice that this is not like the 2 examples provided. Please look below;

1/ Throw the ball far

3/ Make the Qur'aan the spring

The fact that there exists a "the" before spring means it cannot be an adverb. ie it does not show how the verb should be done. To make it comparable to the example you provided you would have to say;

1/ Throw the ball far

3/ Make the Qur'aan spring
Hopefully, putting it in this way, you can see that it is in fact an object. Please note that there are MANY types of different objects and this in itself will require a number of lessons.

For further assurance look at the following sentences for comparable examples of sentences exhibiting two objects;

1: I asked the teacher a question
2: I gave my mother a hug

QUESTION 2

In regards to your second question, you are on the right tracks but due to the complexity of the grammar breakdown, قال has its own grammar breakdown to address this issue. This will be covered in Level II.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum