The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Q&A - to be sorted

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Q&A - to be sorted Empty Re: Q&A - to be sorted Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 am

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Anonymous 22 April 2009 13:07

Assalaamu'alaikum

One of the homework questions ask us to translate "...Dear to the Merciful." and I wanted to know how to say the word 'dear'

Jazaak'Allaahu Khayran
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arabic Lessons 22 April 2009 20:46

وعليكم السلام

In this conttext, please use حـبـيـب

ابــن منظــور
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nurjahan 24 April 2009 11:20

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I'm starting to get slightly confused by feminine plurals.
Can a masculine word become feminised and then pluralised in the feminine form to give you a different word construction to the actual masculine form becoming pluralised in the masculine form??

so for example the female students and the male students will be as:

الطالب -> الطالبونَ
الطالب -> الطالبة -> الطالبات

and does this apply to all masculine nouns/adjectives?

Sorry if i sound confusing I'm pretty confused myself!

Arabic Lessons 24 April 2009 15:07

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

Feminine plurals (not words like hand, sun or Egypt which are feminine for others reasons) are constructed from the masculine form as you stated.

الطالب -> الطالبة -> الطالبات

As a side point, the plural of طالب is not sound. It is broken and is طلاب

I hope that clarifies your confusion iA.

ابــن منظــور

Nurjahan 25 April 2009 19:22

In the sentence below from our homework I was confused as to why 'al Katheerin' was corrected to a feminine form.

يدرُسُ الشيوخُ من كتابونهم الكثيرةِ

please can you clarify.

Shukran

Arabic Lessons 25 April 2009 21:48

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

Please note that your example had errors in it. The corrected sentence is;

يدرُسُ الشيوخُ من كتبِهِم الكثيرةِ

Your transliteration of "al Katheerin" should be "al katheerati".

We noted in previous lessons that non-human plurals should be treated as feminine singular and thus the use of الكثيرةِ

ابــن منظــور

Nurjahan 25 April 2009 21:49

In الطيبونَ للطيباتِ why is the alif dropped in writing? I was told it is only dropped in speech?

please clarify

wasalaam

Arabic Lessons 25 April 2009 21:54

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله

This is dropped both in writing and in speech. However, this is only with the use of "لِـ".

I hope that clarifies your confusion.

ابــن منظــور

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum