The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Maa'idah - 5

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Maa'idah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

فَقَدْ جَاءَكُم بَشِيرٌ وَنَذِيرٌ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

فَقَدْ جَاءَكُم بَشِيرٌ وَنَذِيرٌ

فَقَدْ - So there has*
جَاءَكُم - came to you (m3+)
بَشِيرٌ - a bringer of glad tidings
وَنَذِيرٌ - and a opposite**

*Hmmm....I need help here. I guessed the meaning of فَقَدْI'm having trouble with this word as it confuses me. The Hans Wehr translation of فَقَدْ doesn't really make sense...

**This surprised me when I looked up the meaning as I was familiar with this verse and assumed نَذِيرٌ was a person bearing a warning as is the popular translation. When I looked up وَنَذِيرٌ in Hans Wehr I saw the word actually was translated as similar, like, equal, corresponding, opposite, parallel etc. So from this the verse can be understood as one who brings glad tidings and one who bring the opposite type of tiding, i.e. a warning

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

فَقَدْ here I think means 'And so had...'
i.e. the translation of the verse being: 'And so glad tidings and a harbinger* had come to you.'

(Thought I'd check an alternate dictionary to see if I could find anymore information)

*Al-Mawrid states the root verb is = نَذَرَ , he vowed
نَذِيرٌ = harbinger, forerunner, warning

So in this case, I think Allah is saying, 'not only have glad tidings come to you, but so has a foreboding warning/harbinger (i.e. BEWARE the opposite of it has come too, I have given the key and listed the consquences of not using it - beforehand). Since the word comes from the verb 'he vowed', it is as though the warning is a promise of the punishment to come.

What do you think, am I off the mark...?

Last edited by الماس on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Hmmm, I'm sure your correct. I actually dont know myself, its one of them confusing words for me, but your explanation makes a lot more sense than the dictionary!

Jazakillahu Khairan!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum