The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

A nice and simple Hadith for everyone to have a go at!

Vowelise and Translate:

رضا الرب من رضا الوالد, وسخط الرب من سخط الوالد

كتاب الكبائر

2Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Re: Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

رِضَا الرَّبِّ مِنْ رِضَا الْوَالِدِ, وَسُخُطُ الرَّبِّ مِنْ سُخُطِ الْوَالِدِ
'The pleasure of the Lord (is ....) from the pleasure of the father, and the the displeasure of the Lord (is ....) from the displeasure of the father.'

* رِضَى = pleasure, contentment

* سُخُطٌ = Displeasure, anger , annoyance

* وَالِدٌ = father

(From Hans Wehr)

From this, the importance of respecting and caring for one's parents is reiterated.

والسلام

3Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Re: Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

رضا الربِ من رضا الوالدِ, وسخطُ الربِ من سخطِ الوالدِ

رضا الرب - The pleasure of the Lord
من - [is] from
رضا الوالد - the pleasure of the father*
وسخط الرب - and the displeasure of the Lord
من - [is] from
سخط الوالد - the displeasure of the father

*الوالد according to Hans Wehr is the procreator, progenitor or father whereas the word الوالدان refers to the parents i.e. father and mother

4Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Re: Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 pm

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Ahh, I see what you mean - I guess I was thinking along the lines of when Hadiths like 'Your sons...are an allurement of this world,' you take it to be encompassing all children - so I assumed when Allah says 'father' it mght encompass both. But you are right - It is quite specific here, !جزاكِ الله خيراً أختي

5Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Re: Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:39 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I think, when it comes to explaining the hadith one may explain that the 'father' represents the head of the household so it encompasses both the parents, but then we are going into the commentary of the hadith.

But in terms of literal translation, then I think it is more correct to say 'father' instead of 'parents'

What do you think?

6Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Empty Re: Hadith 1: Vowelise and Translate Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I fully agree with you on that الحمد لله!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum