The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last ten nights dua: Translate!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Last ten nights dua: Translate! Empty Last ten nights dua: Translate! Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 am

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

للهم انك عفون تحب العفو فعفو عنا

And another version which I found of interest

اللهم انك عفون تحب العفو فعفو عني و عن المسلمين اجمعين ياكريم

2Last ten nights dua: Translate! Empty Re: Last ten nights dua: Translate! Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I have attempted the first part:

الْلَهُمّ اِنَّكَ عَفُوُّنٌ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَعْفُو عَنَّا

الْلَهُمّ - O Allah
اِنَّكَ - Indeed you are
عَفُوُّنٌ - a pardoner (خَبَرٌ)
تُحِبُّ - you love
الْعَفْوَ - pardoning
فَعْفُو - so pardon (فِعْلُ الأَمْرِ)
عَنَّا - us

* From the hollow verb: (عَفَا(عَفُو = He was effaced, pardoned, excused
Note: I think my vowelling may be completely wrong as most of these words were not in the dictionary. So I attempted to vowellise according to what I see present in the grammatical structure of the sentence.

* For this word عَفُوُّنٌ the only close one I found in the dictionary was عَفُوٌّ = Pardoner. Since the word in this sentence is in the place of a predicate (I think) - then I decided to put ٌ on the ن.

* For some odd reason, I have the notion that تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ may be translated as 'loving of pardoning, but this would be an إضافة and I am not sure whether the verb can be possessed, on top of that the second should be مجرور - right?

3Last ten nights dua: Translate! Empty Re: Last ten nights dua: Translate! Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

اللهم انك عفون تحب العفو فعفو عني و عن المسلمين اجمعين ياكريم

للهم انك- Oh Allah verily you are
عفون- a forgiver*
تحب العفو - You love the forgiver*
فعفو - so forgive
عني - me
و عن - and
المسلمين - the Muslims
اجمعين- all
ياكريم - Oh Generous [one?]

Hmmm...this is harder than it looks! I'm a bit confused why العفو is definite.

Also, what is the purpose of عن? I can imagine the dua means something to the effect of 'Oh Allah surely You are a forgiver and you love to forgive therefore forgive me and all the Muslims oh the Generous One.' But in terms of word for word translations and grammar I'm slightly stumped.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum