The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Level One Applied

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Level One Applied Empty Level One Applied Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Ambia

Ambia
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Assalamualaikum,

Level One Applied was everything I expected and more!! It consolidated everything I learnt in the Level One course and helped me to work on those areas I wasn’t so confident with.

My favourite part of the course was being able to have a conversation in Arabic. I was also even able to write my own story in Arabic, something which I didn’t expect to be able to do at this stage of my learning! Alhamdulillah! I also enjoyed our last lesson, where our Ustaadh very articulately illustrated how far we had come with just 15hrs of teaching!

My least favourite part was the tedious task of learning vocabulary but Alhamdulillah our Ustaadh was kind enough not to overwhelm us with too many words Smile

I look forward to studying with the institute in the near future Insha’Allah.

Rukshana

2Level One Applied Empty Re: Level One Applied Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 am

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Level I Applied was an exciting amalgamation of learning
techniques. Taught in a minimal timeframe of six hours, it proved to be a highly
valuable programme of study. Within it, nominal and more far-reaching verbal
sentence conversations were utilised; forming a remarkable firmament for level I.
To highlight one such functional conveyance of purpose was the charming conversation
between a married couple in Lesson 2.

Another method was translation exercises. These allowed me
to interpret the meaning of a text and subsequently produce an equivalent text
in English. If anything, the process enabled me to feel the flaccidity of rich Arabic
textuality after a prolonged soak in translation. With this unexpected and new found
perception, the course endowed me with the necessary tools to extend into an exhilarating
analysis of some Qur’anic verses; still without doubt the most stimulating vehicle for
translation today. Suddenly, Surah Ar-Rahman, verse 60, became an electrifying nucleus
of possibility for me.

As I steadily grew in confidence, it became easier to manoeuvre
between new understanding and revision of past grammatical breakdowns.
I was abundantly supported and found myself recounting information with speed
and even discussed Arabic grammar rules in Arabic!

The penultimate stage of this learning journey displayed as
much a fascinating range of modus operands as did the commencement of it. I was
instructed to write a story in approximately 70 words. As I wrote, I discovered
that I could now recycle vocabulary from level I as well as follow a precise instruction.
Following on from this, I was instructed to create a voice recording of a given
text to be submitted for feedback. Maa Shaa Allah, this was by far my most favoured aspect of
the course; the priceless advice given by my Ustaadh has been the chief impetus
for improvements in my pronunciation since.

Finally, as Level I Applied came to a close, I was
honoured to be party to a freefall Arabic lecture by my venerated teacher. Once
again, the auditory training which came with the eloquent precision and fluency
of his words, gave rise to a pristine determination to seize just a fistful of the
rich, flowing legacy of a language as poignantly steadfast as it is enticing...

والسلام عليكم
الماس

طالبة ابن منظور

3Level One Applied Empty Re: Level One Applied Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Assalmualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I think Level One Applied played an essential role in establishing our foundation knowledge and it helped us ascertain our areas of weakness in application of the language.

As is the norm, one may find they feel confident in a certain area of study, however when commanded to apply the knowledge in different contexts whether it be spontaneous speech, creative writing or even simply deciphering and elaborating upon unfamiliar text, more often than not, the student finds the tasks are not as easy as could be assumed.

Essentially, I found myself in the same position! Alhamdulillah, the course only made me realise the importance of consistency in ones study and made me appreciate just how easily one could lose the skills attained and forget such knowledge if one neglects the pursuit of that science.

Professor Mortimer Adler mentions in a book (in regards to speaking and listening) that it cannot be assumed that one who is good at reading and writing is necessarily good at speaking and listening, and I think this is exactly what Level One Applied demonstrated where our theoretical knowledge was put to the test through the use of spontaneous speech and conversations. No doubt this area is in and of itself something which needs to be taught for the skill to be acquired.

Personally, I found I was very weak in such areas as they required one to simultaneously listen, understand the speech and apply the taught theory in order to give a suitable response (which I was definitely not the best student at doing!). My strengths lay more in areas of reading/understanding and translating, which I found I really enjoyed doing.

Overall the level made me come to many conclusions and renewed my determination to exert effort and have consistency in studying the language…inshaAllah!

Nurjahan

4Level One Applied Empty Re: Level One Applied Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 am

Bint Mahamoud

Bint Mahamoud
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem

Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

After completing the Level 1 course back in April last year, I was very happy to hear that the applied course would be starting. I thought this would be an amazing opporunity for me to go over what I had learnt in level 1. This course went over aspects of level 1 in great detail, establishing the grammar we learnt through various speaking exercises as well as reading and writing exercises. I learnt a great deal more in this course than I originally thought I would had in such a small amount of time Maa Shaa Allaah, TabaarakAllaah.

I would recommend those who have studied level 1 with Ibn Mandhoor to take up the amazing opporunity to study the level 1 applied course with this institution as well!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum