The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Baqarah - 4

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Baqarah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

وَإِلَـٰهُكُمْ إِلَـٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ ۖ لَّا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الرَّحْمَـٰنُ الرَّحِيمُ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

And - وَ
Your God - إِلَـٰهُكُمْ
(is) One God.- ۖ إِلَـٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ
- لَّاNo
إِلَـٰهَ - God*
إِلَّا - except
هُوَ he (who is)
الرَّحْمَـٰنُ - The Beneficient
الرَّحِيمُ - The Merciful

* This part got me as I wonder why the word is إِلَـٰهَ with a فتحة, so far we have learnt that the word will only end in فتحة if
a) it is the object of a verb, i.e. منصوب
but I do not see a verb from which the action will fall upon إِلَـٰهَ to make it an object.

b)if it is a diptote in the genetive/accusative case
clearly إِلَـٰهَ cannot be a diptote as a diptote cannot hold ضمّتيْن ٌ_ and the word إِلَـٰهٌ clearly has tanween. Also, in order to make the word genetive it must have a preposition in front of the word in order to make it مجرور (genetive). It can not be accusative either as I discussed earlier that there is no verb in front of the word.

My conclusion is that perhaps the sentence is incomplete and may be an extention of a verbal sentence whereby the beginning could have been 'I witness that' i.e. أشهد أن Here the first part may not be mentioned in this sentence as it may have been mentioned in earlier sentences, or Allah may be referring to it - as thought of the Shahaadah should already be conjured in our minds when Allah has mentioned وَإِلَـٰهُكُمْ إِلَـٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ 'And your God is One God.' Perhaps Allah has not written the 'I witness that' as HE himself need not witness that he is One, but rather we ourselves should remember it whilst reading?

This is the only explanantion I have. Please could you help me to understand this further إن شاء الله

مع السلامة

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

I just had another idea...
Maybe the line could alternatively be an extention of the command 'Worship'?أعْبُدْ/أعْبُدُوا
i.e. أعْبُدْ/أعْبُدُوا لَّا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الرَّحْمَـٰنُ الرَّحِيمُ
'Worship no God except he (who is) the Beneficient, the Merciful.'

That way إِلَـٰهَ is the object of the command?

I look forward to the answer إن شاء الله

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum