The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Baqarah - 1

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Baqarah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

أَتَأْمُرُونَ النَّاسَ بِالْبِرِّ وَتَنسَوْنَ أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ تَتْلُونَ الْكِتَابَ ۚ أَفَلا تَعْقِلُونَ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

إن شاء الله , I am going to try my best with this translation as it was the hardest for me:

أَتَأْمُرُونَ - Are you commanding (from the verb أَمَرَ))
النَّاسَ - The People
بِالْبِرِّ - in Piety*
وَتَنسَوْنَ - and (whislt you are) neglecting*
أَنفُسَكُمْ - your (own) souls
وَأَنتُمْ - and you (are)
تَتْلُونَ - reciting*
الْكِتَابَ - The Book
أَفَلا - And so are not
تَعْقِلُونَ - You understanding (from the verb عَقَلَ - to be concious, understand, reason)

*بِرٌّin Hans Wehr is referred to as 'Piety, devoutness', etc.

* تَنسَوْنَ I think comes from the verb نَسَيَ (he neglected, forgot).

* This was a difficult verb to find, I thought it might be a verb with ا, ي, or و at the end as root verbs usually have 3 letters and the third in this word wasn't apparent, so I searched for all three in dictionaries to no avail. A translation website told me that تلا means 'he read,' I suppose this is similar to the word 'تلاوة' (recitaion), so I decided to leave the translation as 'reciting', .i.e. following/heeding the Book. I do not know the vowelling for the original verb, nor if it is indeed correct.

I think the transltaion is implying, 'You command the people by parading your devoutness, yet you forsake your own soul, is this what your intellect is making you reason? You are not understanding.'

Please help...

والسلام

Ambia

Ambia
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

أَتَأْمُرُونَ النَّاسَ بِالْبِرِّ وَتَنسَوْنَ أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ تَتْلُونَ الْكِتَابَ ۚ أَفَلا تَعْقِلُونَ

Are you commanding the people (to) be righteous whilst forgetting your souls and reading the Book? And do you not understand?

أَتَأْمُرُونَ – Are you commanding (Present Tense Verb, Male, Plural – conjugated from أمر)

النَّاسَ – The People

بِالْبِرِّ – Be Pious/Righteous

وَتَنسَوْنَ – And (are) you forgetting (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Plural)

أَنفُسَكُمْ – Your souls/Yourselves (Masculine, Plural)

وَأَنتُمْ – And you (Masculine, Plural)

تَتْلُونَ – You are Reading/Reciting (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Plural)

الْكِتَابَ – The Book

أَفَلا تَعْقِلُونَ - And so, are you not understanding? (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Plural – conjugated from عـقـل )

This was haaaaaaaaaaaaaard, my brain hurts. Alhamdulilah was good fun Smile

I was unsure of some of the verbs so I most probably made loadsa errors..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum