The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Baqarah - 9

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Baqarah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

This is what I think the translation is:

لَّهُ - for him (as in 'belongs to him')
مَا - what
فِي - (is) in
السَّمَاوَاتِ - the skies (the Heavens?)*
وَمَا - and what (is)
فِي - in
الْأَرْضِ - the Earth

* As it says 'skies' it made me think of the different layers of Jannah above which Allah is sat on his eternal Throne. So for this reason, I have translated it 'Heavens.'

السّماء = the sky

والسلام

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ

لَّهُ To Him [belongs]
مَا فِي what [is] in
السَّمَاوَاتِ the heavens (feminine plural)*
وَمَا فِي and what [is] in
الْأَرْضِ the earth

*From my own understanding this is in reference to the seven heavens above us more so than the literal sky above us.
There is a distinction between the sky, which is what is above us, the Heavens (i.e. the Quran descended to the lowest heaven during the month of Ramadan and then was revealed in parts throughout the 23 years of the Prophet (saw’s) life, also we know in the seventh heaven the angels make tawaaf around Al-Bait-al-Ma'mur) and finally we have what we refer to as 'paradise' which is the Jannah Allah has created for the believers to dwell in the hereafter.

On a side note, to appreciate what is being said in the verse, Allah says to him belongs what is in the heavens; we know our galaxy, our entire universe, which according to different sources is predicated to be around 13.7 to 180 billion light years wide.

In one narration it is said the size of each of them [i.e. the heavens] in comparison with the succeeding one was like that of a ring thrown into a desert.

Some consider the universe which we are able to measure as the lowest heaven.

لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ I think, now, carries a whole new meaning…!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum