The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratin Nisaa' - 6

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratin Nisaa' searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

وَلَا تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْحَقَّ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

وَلَا تَقُولُوا - And say not*
عَلَى - upon
اللَّهِ - Allah
إِلَّا - except
الْحَقَّ - the Truth

وَلَا تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْحَقَّ
Translation: And say/swear not upon (the name of) Allah, except the truth.

*I researched that this congugation of the verb قَالَ (he said), and came up with the 'Jussive Mood.' This is the second person masculine plural being given a command in this context(Jussive also relates to the speaker giving permission or agreement for a request to be brought about). Here, Allah is giving a warning to his creation, not to say 'اللَّهِ' except that what you say is the truth, i.e. do not swear an oath by the name of Allah if speaking falsehood.

As Jussive Mood also encompasses 'Permission and agreement for a request to be brought about', Could Allah then be giving agreement/permission to use his name as oath when being truthful?

I do not know anymore than this about the Jussive mood...إن شاء الله someone can shed some light on it?

Ambia

Ambia
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

وَلَا تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْحَقَّ - And do not talk about Allah except the truth

وَلَا تَقُولُوا - And do not say/talk (masculine,plural - a negated command...i think??)

عَلَى - on/upon/about (unsure of the exact meaning of this)

اللَّهِ - Allah

إِلَّا - Except

الْحَقَّ - The Truth

Hmmm my translation sounds wrong, please feel free to correct Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum