The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Maa'idah - 3

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Maa'idah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

قَدْ جَاءَكُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ نُورٌ وَكِتَابٌ مُّبِينٌ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

قَدْ - Verily/surely*
جَاءَكُم - has come to you (m3+)
مِّنَ - from
اللَّهِ - Allah
نُورٌ - a light
وَكِتَابٌ - and a Book
مُّبِينٌ - evident/clear

Translation: Verily, there has come to you from Allah a light and a clear Book.

* I was unable to find a translation of قَدْ as a preposition, the translation of which I felt it would fit in with the context so I choose to translate قَدْ as surely/verily because firstly I've read this else where, (I just cant seem to find the source) and secondly because it fits in with the context.

Anyone else...?

Last edited by Nurjahan on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

I think قَدْ is added to the past tense to serve as an intensifier, as in to show that that event 'had' happend, so for the translation of this verse, I think it would be:

'(Indeed) From Allah, a light and a clear book HAD come to you.'

In this case, I feel that the verse is saying, 'Allah HAD sent enlightenment/knowledge to you - (but still you go astray?)'

Nurjahan, you mentioned something interesting - It didn't come to my mind that قَدْ could grammatically be a preposition. Could anyone confirm this إن ساء الله؟

* As a side point, something I found very inspiring was the grammatical vowelling of this sentence - The verb خاء (he/it came to) of which the object is كُمْ (you), but notice the subjects 'doers' here (marked by ضمّة) are actually the light and the clear book نُورٌ وَكِتَابٌ مُّبِينٌ! Allah is showing that his signs CAME to US, سبحان الله how eased is the guidance of Allah upon us, rather than using the verb بَعَثَ (he sent), it is as though - these personified signs CAME from Allah with a will to guide us to our Lord - BEFORE WE CAME to seek them! How eloquently said...It's soo beautiful!

مع السلامة

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

قَدْ is referred to as a preposition in Hans Wehr...

Also another tidbit I read somewhere of interest is how جَاءَ meaning 'he came' is similar to أتى but جَاءَ gives a sense of grandeur and majesty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum