The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Institute of Ibn Mandhoor **************************** جامعـــــــة ابـــــــن منظـــــــور

An online forum dedicated to the teaching of the Arabic language. Contact: ibn_mandhoor@hotmail.co.uk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Translation of an ayah from Suratil Baqarah - 3

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ابــــــن منظــــــور

ابــــــن منظــــــور
Administrator
Administrator

Please translate the following from Suratil Baqarah searching any new verbs/nouns that have not yet been encountered. Please provide any additional explanation where you see necessary.

فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

New questions may arise as a result of pondering over this question. If this is so, please create a new thread.

http://onlinearabiclessons.blogspot.com/

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله

I apologise for the reverse order of answering, but I am finding the others difficult:

فَلَهُمْ - (And)So for them
أَجْرُهُمْ - their reward
عِندَ - (is) with
رَبِّهِمْ - their Lord
وَلا - and no
خَوْفٌ - fear (is)
عَلَيْهِمْ - upon them*
وَلا - and (are) not*
هُمْ - they
يَحْزَنُونَ - grieving

*According to the Hans Wehr Dictionary, the word خَوْفٌ (Fear) followed by the preposition عَلَى renders the meaning 'fearing for', thus, instead of translating وَلا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ as 'and no fear (is) upon them,' the translation would be 'and no fearing for them', i.e. I think that means, they should not be in fearing (punishment), nor should anyone fear for them.

* I thought that unlike the first لاَ, this one was rather confusing. As the لاَ is not placed before the verb يَحْزَنُونَ ( they are grieving, they grieve - rendered from the past tense حَزَنَ [he grieved]) then perhaps the لاَ is not negating the action but rather confirming it, e.g. no grieving is for them (perhaps they are free from wrongdoing) yet a rhetorical question is posed; do they not grieve still - in gratitude?

However, then I pondered more and felt that the لاَ can also be that of negation as the sentence, هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ (they [are] grieving) is in fact in the present tense, and لاَ as we have been taught is the particle for present-tense negation. So perhaps it IS saying 'And they (are) NOT greiving', this seems like the most relevant meaning, (but the other translation may also be valid as the prophet ص , though he was aquitted of all past and present sins, it did not stop his grievance for mankind and endless gratitude in lengthy prayers).

I look forward to some clarification إن شا الله

مع السلامة

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

فَلَهُمْ So, for them (m3+)
أَجْرُهُمْ their wage (or reward)
عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ[is] with their Lord
وَلا and no
خَوْفٌ fear
عَلَيْهِمْ [is] upon them
وَلا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ and nor [shall] they(m3+) grieve*

* يَحْزَنُونَ is the imperfect tense المضارِع which combines both present and future tense. It can be made to indicate the present tense only by putting before it ل, so ليَحْزَنُونَ would be 'grieving' present tense and fixed and س or سوف will cause the future tense to be fixed, therefore the imperfect tense left unaltered according to my opinion gives room for interpretation and the way I choose to translate it (admittedly inspired) causes the pronoun هُمْ to have a purpose.

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

السلام عليكم

I read your post, and I agree with you Nurjahan; 'هُم' must have a purpose.

The verse itself mentions هُم no less than five times! There is a possibility that this means 'They' (m/m&f,3+) could be a specific set of people. I focussed on the part where it says 'fearing for them' and then a thought came to me that all the هُم need NOT be the SAME people. For example, those people whom their reward is with Allah, need not fear for 'them'? Could this not be the case?

And thereafter, the people whom they would grieve for most would logically be those closest to them, perhaps their family/friends/loved ones? So could this be parents fearing for their children, men for their wives, brothers for their sisters, etc?

Then I ask myself, why would they worry for 'them'? Perhaps they themselves will go to Jannah; to a blessed reward - yet 'they' others may not - perhaps because 'they' are not with them? Why would 'they' not be with them? Are they far within space and time? If seperated through space, then maybe their loved ones are still in the دُنْيَا when they themselves have passed away? Or if by Time, then perhaps those that are yet to come in the future? Or maybe both together?

We already have a premise that there is 'no fearing for them'...so 'they' I doubt are 'bad', is this verse then a reassurance from Allah? A guarantee that the people being feared for will indeed be protected, because of the deeds of they who have a reward with Allah?

Then of course, I ask myself the question that I should have asked at the beginning..Why do they have a reward with Allah in the first place, what did they do?

Does ANY of this make sense? I think I am getting a bit carried away...

مع السلامة

Nurjahan

Nurjahan
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

lol...honestly?

....!لا ادري

Wink

Ambia

Ambia
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

And for them, their reward (is) with their Lord, no fear (will be) upon them and they (will) not grieve.

فَلَهُمْ - And for them

أَجْرُهُمْ – Their reward

عِندَ - with

رَبِّهِمْ – Their Lord

وَلا خَوْفٌ – And no fear

عَلَيْهِمْ- Upon them

وَلا هُمْ – And no they

يَحْزَنُونَ – You are grieving (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Plural – Conjugated from حـزن)

This has got me kinda stumped…the translation only made sense if I included the future tense in it, however in the breakdown for each word there appears to be no indication of the future tense so I must be missing something here Sad

Although I remember (very very vaguely) our Ustaadh explaining another verse in the Quran where a past tense verb was used to indicate something in the future and that was due to the surety of that event occurring and so the future tense was not used…I think that’s what was said (I have fish brain syndrome!!) so please correct me if am wrong Smile

الماس

الماس
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور
طالبـــة ابـــن منظـــور

Ambia wrote:
يَحْزَنُونَYou are grieving (Present Tense Verb, Masculine, Plural – Conjugated from حـزن)

السلام عليكم

أختي remember, the translation cannot be 'you are grieving' because the verb is conjugated in the third person with a ي not ت , so the translation for that part would have to be 'they are grieving.'

I hope that clears things up a little bit إن شاء الله

مع السلامة

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum